I would like to hear about ...

Testing websites options

I recently came in a company, the last programmer made a full copy of the website for testing purpose and it was partly broke when I started working. That programmer is not working here anymore, the real website work and the customer want the testing website repaired. I think a "copy" site is not a good testing technique (some update are made on the real website and not on the test or the other way). What are the alternatives?

7 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Alexandre LamondeAlexandre Lamonde shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Arlo CarreonArlo Carreon commented  · 

Alex,

I think this will be a great episode! To answer your question: the ideal scenario would be a collection of automated scripts that will move your DB from live to your test/staging site and use version control (git) to keep the code base consistent.

The major problem with this approach, which is what you're facing, is that its a maintenance nightmare. In bigger companies you have your Sys Admin team take care of environment consistency. None the less, a "copy" of your site in a different location is the best way to go.

Using a "copy" allows you to accidently break the site without affecting the production environment in any way.

Feedback and Knowledge Base